Friday, November 21, 2008

Market update: 11 20 08 late afternoon....RECORD MOVE ON THE 30 YEAR BOND

 

 

I’ve been trying to write an update on the 30 year Treasury for the better part of an hour…I can’t get it done because every time I grab the screen shot the long bond jumps another quarter of a point.  I started this process when the 30 year was up about 5 points.  I looked around the office and nobody could remember the long bond being up 5 points in a single trading session…if it’s not a record it has to be close because nobody can remember the last time it happened.  I grabbed the screen and then it was up 5.5 points, then 6, then it kept going…currently the 30 year Treasury bond is up almost 9 points.  There is no story yet on what is causing the rush to the long end, but have no doubt that the 30 year is moving like a rocket.  As I type it’s now up over 9 points.  When I get some news I’ll pass it on…9 points in a single session has to be in record territory.  It is now yielding 3.44%. 

 

 

up 8 and 24.png

 

 

 

Below is a graph of the yield on the 30 year Treasury.  It opened this morning at 3.87%....it is now trading at a 3.44%.  I’ll update as things develop.

 

Steve Scaramastro

800-311-0707

 

 

30 year Treas yield graph.png

No comments: