Thursday, April 28, 2011

FW: Market Update 4 27 11 _ Over 1 Million Served

Bloomberg ran a story today that said McDonalds just hired 62,000 people after receiving over a million applications.  The thrust of the story was about how McDonalds is seeing nice growth in this environment and how they are attracting customers with new dishes such as Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus burgers…mmmmmmm.

When I read that story… I see it from a different angle.  I look right past the heart-attack-waiting-to-happen burger, and I start to ponder the real meat of the matter…the numbers they just threw out.  I think the author at Bloomberg missed some very interesting material that was on his plate.

McDonalds…I’ll say that again…MCDONALDS…just received ONE MILLION job applications.  The unemployment rate currently stands at 8.80%.  The size of the US workforce is approximately 150 million people.  8.80% of 150 million means that there are currently 13.2 million people out of work.

McDonalds…MCDONALDS… just turned away one million of those people.  Put another way…a fast food burger joint famous for its unhealthy meals and an institutional inability to properly execute drive-through window orders just turned away 7.50% of the unemployed people in this country.   

They hired roughly 0.50% of the unemployed people…which tells us that 8.00% of the entire universe of unemployed workers in this country came down to the golden arches looking for work.  That is a staggering figure.

It concerns me that almost 10% of the unemployed in this country see their best prospects for a job to be slinging burgers.  I’m starting to think that there might be some merit to all of the stories that say America is falling behind in math and science.  I gotta wrap this up…the fry machine is beeping and I don’t want them to burn.  If I lose this job there are literally a million people willing to take my place.

Steve Scaramastro, SVP

800-311-0707

 

No comments: